You said on the phone that you could bring me some references? One from someone who’s known you in a professional capacity and one personal one?
- Do you have any practical qualiﬁcations, by the way? Life-saving, music, anything?
- Um,I’ve got an up-to-date ﬁrst aid certiﬁcate, I did a course when I was working.
- That’s good. First aid. Anything else?
- Well, I’ve got a driving license, as I told you on the phone. But that’s not special, almost everyone needs that really. I’ve got a sailing qualiﬁcation. It’s a certiﬁcate of competence. －順便提⼀下，你有資格證書嗎？救援，⾳樂，或者其他的？ －嗯，在我⼯作的時候，我考了⼀個最新版本的急救證書。
- Can I just ask about how you ﬁrst heard about the fair?
- Oh,from a friend, she told me about it last week, and then I looked it up on the internet.
- What are the hours of work?
- There are two different shifts. There is a day shift from 7.00-2.00,and a late shift from 4.00-11.00. Can people choose which one they want to do?
- Not normally. Because everyone would choose the day shift, I suppose. You alternate from one week to another.
-I need to know how much it costs. The girls want a double room to themselves. They don’t want to share with other people.
-That makes it more expensive. The price is under 30 dollars for a bed in a dormitory but they’ll be paying 50 dollars a night. But if they become members, the price comes down to 41 dollars a night. Membership costs 35 dollars.
-我需要知道它的花費。⼥孩們⾃⼰想要⼀個雙⼈間。她們不想和其他⼈分享房間。 -這樣的話會更貴⼀些。⼀間宿舍的⼀張床價格在30美元之下，但是兩個⼈的花費是50美元⼀碗。但如果 她們加⼊會員，價格就會下降⾄41美元。會員的價格是35美元。
The hostel actually has scooters for hire at a very good price. It would be quicker than cycling or walking to the center.
-And for a two-bedroom apartment,what sort of rent should we expect to pay? Well, looking at the properties we have at the moment prices start from around 730 dollars per month, and depending on the area, can go up to 1200 dollars.
-that’s too much.Something half way would be better.
-So would your limit be say 950 dollars?
-I’d say so,yes.
-And how long would you want to stay with the host family？
-I am planning on staying a year but at the moment I am deﬁnitely here for four months only. I have to get an extension to a permit.
-You’re working on it?
DAY 3 1.
We want nothing to go wrong on a PS Camping Holiday. But if it does we also want all our customers to be ensured. If you haven’t organised/organized an annual insurance policy of your own you’ll need to take out the low-cost cover we offer and we require that you arrange this when you make your holiday reservation.
在PS Camping 我們不需要出任何事情。但是以防萬⼀，我們也認為我們所有的顧客都應該有保險。如果 你沒有給⾃⼰安排⼀個年度保險，我們要求你在做假期預定的時候購買我們提供的低額保險。
You should be back at the visitor center at about 4.00 o’clock. If you have time,it’s worth taking a look at the center itself. It’s not possible to go upstairs at present as builders are working there adding another ﬂoor. But the rests are well worth seeing.
But we are unique in that some of the sculptures were actually created for the sites they occupy here. And we also show sculptures by a wider range of artists than anywhere else in the country. 我們的特別之處在於我們的雕塑是真的為了這個園區設計的。同時，我們展⽰出來的雕刻的作者⽐其他 地⽅的更加⼴泛。
This would normally cost 30 pounds but it’s available at half price for this month only. There are only a limited number of places available for this, so to make a booking phone 560341.
One way of making sure that the pedestrians are safe is to increase signage at the intersections. A ‘keep clear’ sign will be erected at the junction of Evelyn Street and Hill Street to enable trafﬁc to exit at all times. 確保⾏⼈安全的⽅式之⼀是增加在⼗字路⼜的路標。「讓路」路標將會竪⽴在Evelyn⼤街和Hill Street的⼗字 路⼜⽤來確保交通在任何時間都順暢。
We’ll go to the crossroads in the middle of the map, and go straight on making our way between two buildings on either side of the path. The larger one is an exhibition center, but it’s not open today unfortunately. The other building is ofﬁces.
We also have the Long House. That’s quite a walk. From here you go to the bridge and then turn left on the other side. Soon you’ll see a winding pathway going up towards the northern boundary of the park, go up there and you’ll ﬁnd it at the top.
有⼀個叫做Long House的地⽅。也要⾛上⼀段路。從這⾥你上橋，然後左轉⾄另外⼀段。很快你就看到 ⼀條曲折的⼩路，這條⼩路是沿著公園北邊的邊界的，沿著⼩路向上⾛你會發現Long House 就在這條路 的頂端。 4.
We’ve now got an extra photocopier,so as well as the one upstairs, there’s one down here. You can see it right opposite the entrance by the wall on the far side.
- I’m thinking of doing a business studies degree.Isn’t that what you’re doing?
- Yes. I’m about to start my third year.I think you’d enjoy it. Is there something in the course that you’re not sure about?
- Well, you know I’ve been working for a publisher for the last four years as a production assistant …
- That will be really valuable experience because a lot of people go to university straight from school and don’t have that kind of background.
- Yeah, I know and I’m used to dealing with ﬁgures and percentages and things,but it’s been a while since I’ve sat down and put my ideas into an essay. I was never that good at it and I’m not sure I can do it now.
- 你知道過去的四年我⼀直在⼀家出版社擔任出版助理… …
- 是的，我也知道，我現在習慣處理數字和百分⽐相關的東西，但是我已經有⼀段時間沒有坐下來學習 並且把我的想法寫成論⽂了。我也不是很擅長做學問。因此我不確定我現在有能⼒去完成這門課程。
－The most interesting course I’ve done is public relations.
－From what I’ve read it doesn’t look very demanding(要求⾼的，吃⼒的)—some of it is really just common sense.
－But it would be really useful if you want to go into marketing or advertising.
－That’s true,but I need to ﬁnd out a bit more about it ﬁrst before I decide — if it will really help me. It’s difﬁcult to tell from the prospectus（招⽣簡章）.
- 那倒是，但是在我做決定之前我需要再深⼊瞭解⼀下它是否真的有幫助，這些在招⽣簡章中很難看出 來。 3.
－OK. Well, you have two other possibilities: you could either do the part-time course – that would be over two years and you wouldn’t have to take any time off work – or you could do what we call a ‘modular’ course. You could do that in eighteen months if you wanted – or longer, it’s quite flexible and it would be up to you.
- 你有兩個選擇：⼀個是⾮全⽇制課程，這種課程是兩年的，你不⽤辭職；另外⼀個是「單元」課程，如 果你願意可以在18個⽉完成這個課程，花更長的時間也是可以的，這種課程時間靈活，⽽且時間是由 你決定的。
－What about Second Language Acquisition?
－Do you think I’d ﬁnd that useful?
－Well, you’ve had some practical experience in the ﬁeld, I think it would be. －I hadn’t thought about that. I’ll put that down as a deﬁnite, then. －第⼆語⾔習得的怎麼樣？ －你認為這個對我有⽤嗎？ －你在這個領域已經有⼀定的實踐經驗，我覺得會有⽤ －我沒想到這點。把我就把它放在確定要上的課。
- Yes. And don’t forget simple formatting like numbering.
- Didn’t I use page numbers?
- I didn’t mean that. Look, you’ve remembered to include headers and footers, which is good, but listing ideas clearly is important. Number them or use bullet points, which is even clearer. Then you’ll focus the reader on your main points.
- 我不是說這個。你看，你已經記住了包含頁眉和頁腳，這是很好的，但是把觀點羅列地清晰是⽐較重 要的。給這些觀點編號或者使⽤項⽬符號，這樣會更加清晰。這樣你的讀者就會看到你的主要觀點了。
What kind of coursework would I have to do?
Well, it’s a mixture. You’d be expected to write an essay each month, which counts towards your ﬁnal assessment.
How do you get on with your tutor? I don’t think I’m on the same wavelength as mine, so I feel I’m not getting anything out of the tutorials. It would be more productive to read a book instead.
Oh, mine’s very demanding. She gives me lots of feedback and advice, so I’ve got much better at writing essays. And she’s helping me plan my revision for the end-of-year exams. 你和你的⽼師相處的如何？我不認為我和我的⽼師在同⼀個頻率上，所以我覺得我在輔導課上學不到 什麼。我⾃⼰讀書將更有收穫。 哦，我的⽼師要求很嚴格。她給我很多的反饋和建議，所以我在寫論⽂⽅⾯進步很⼤。他還幫助我制 定了期末考試的復習計劃。
Another drawback I remember it mentioned was that questionnaire data tends not to reveal anything unexpected, because it is limited to the questions ﬁxed in advance by the researcher. 另外⼀個缺點是我記得是調查問卷的數據是不太可能展現出超出期待的東西，因為他的問題⼀開始就被 研究者限定了。
Living in the Antarctic hasn’t always been so comfortable. Snow build-ups caused enormous problems for four previous stations on the same site, which were buried and ﬁnally crushed by the weight. Fortunately no-one was hurt, but these buildings became a huge challenge to architects who ﬁnally came up with a remarkable solution the buildings are placed on platforms which can be raised above the changing snow level on legs which are extendable.
住在南極洲並不總是很舒適的。之前的四個研究站在同⼀個地點建造的雪房⼦都出⼤問題，這些房⼦被 埋了並且最終都⾃⼰的重量壓到了。幸運的是沒有⼀個⼈受傷，但是⼀些建築物變成了建築師們最⼤的 挑戰，這些建築師最後想出來⼀個了不起的解決辦法。他們將房⼦放在⼀個可以根據積雪厚度調節⽀架 ⾼度的平台上。
The agreed targets for the UK mean that by 2008 we must reduce our carbon dioxide emissions by 12.5%, compared with 1990. 英國達成的⽬標是截⽌到2008年，我們⼆氧化碳的排放量⼀定要⽐1990年減少12.5%。
But we learn far more than that, because studying geography also informs us about the different kinds of relationships that develop between a particular environment and the people that live there. 但是我們學到的遠不⽌於此，因為學習地理也告訴我們不同的地理環境和居住在那⾥的⼈們之間的發展 關係。 4.
Despite quite large catches, some people believe that shark meshing is not the best way to catch sharks. It’s not that they think sharks are afraid of nets, or because they eat holes in them, because neither of these is true. 儘管捕捉量⼤，⼀些⼈仍然認為鯊魚⽹不是最好撲⽕鯊魚的⽅式。這並不是因為他們認為鯊魚害怕漁⽹， 又或者是因為鯊魚會把漁⽹咬破，這兩個說法都是不正確的。
Day 8 1.
Researchers examined a number of variables, e.g. type of instrument played, regularity of practice undertaken and length of time playing instrument… and found the following: keyboard players had high levels of mixedhandedness, whereas string players like cellists and violinists strongly favoured one hand. Also those who started younger were more mixed-handed.
And then some basic rules to guide you – we’ll have our own camp near a village, but remember never to camp on a site if you go on your own. It may be disrespectful to the people of that culture, and certainly don’t make fires, however romantic it may seem. It’s really dangerous in dry areas, and you can easily burn priceless undiscovered material by doing so. 這之後⼀些基本的規則會引導你—我們會在附近的⼩村莊有⾃⼰的夏令營，但是記住永遠千萬不要獨⾃
⼀⼈扎帳篷。這是對當地⼈⽂化的不尊重，⽽且不管看起來多浪漫，都千萬不要⽣⽕。這在⼲燥的地⽅ 是⼗分危險的，並且⽣⽕會很容易將那些未被發現的⽆價之寶燒毀。 3.
There are several reasons for this lack of interest in corporate crime, compared with other types of crime. It’s often very complex, whereas with conventional crime is usually possible to follow what’s going on without specialist knowledge.
和其他犯罪⽐起來，⼈們對於公司犯罪缺乏興趣是有若⼲原因的。公司犯罪往往是複雜的，⽽跟進常規 犯罪往往是不需要專業知識的。 4.
Then research also suggests that women avoid dealing effectively with their economic situation because of a lack of confidence. The best way for them to overcome this is by getting themselves properly informed so they are less
dependent on other people’s advice.